The Paxtonia Fire Company offers a live-in program for college-aged students. No previous training or experience required! (though encouraged) This program is for anyone wishing to join the fire service, or expand your knowledge and experience in the fire service. Why not save money on housing while in college, and volunteer at one of Harrisburg's elite fire departments? Everything you need to achieve greatness will be provided for you.
The Paxtonia Fire department is centrally located in Lower Paxton Township, Harrisburg PA, only 6 miles from Harrisburg City. Lower Paxton Township is currently the 16th largest municipality in Pennsylvania and rated as one of the fastest-growing in size. We serve the residents of our township along with primary mutual aid to Harrisburg City, West Hanover Township, and Susquehanna Township. Our “first due” consists of a variety of different structures including business commercial buildings, "strip malls", industrial parks, garden-style apartments, and many different types of residential structures. We operate a 2009 Seagrave Suppression Engine (Engine 34), a 2017 Seagrave Tractor Drawn Arial - Tiller (Truck 34), a 2019 Seagrave Rescue Engine (Engine 34-1). Various supplemental vehicles are owned by our organization including utility trucks, chief’s vehicles, and manpower transportation vehicles.
Paxtonia responds to an average of 600-700 calls per year. The amount of residencies and commercial buildings is increasing in our first due, so each year we expect our call volume to increase as well. Training is expected at Paxtonia. Company training is held three times a month, while the live-ins train nearly every day. We house our own training grounds that include a roof simulator, vehicle extrication/fire pad, and area for open fire training. We partner closely with the Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC) to achieve all required certification-based training. All outside training is paid for by the company.
We have the facilities to house 10 live-ins, including three private rooms and two communal bunk rooms. The live-ins are given access to everything inside the fire station. In return, the department asks the live-ins to preform various station duties such as cleaning, attending meetings/training, equipment maintenance, and performing rig and air pack inspections on a weekly basis. Live-ins are expected to respond to all emergency calls while on property. Several of our past live-ins are currently or have been employed by Montgomery County Fire and Rescue, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, Baltimore City Fire, Harrisburg City Fire, and the Pennsylvania State Police. If your goal is to obtain a career firefighters position, Paxtonia has a strong reputation for breeding the best firemen.
For more information please feel free to call the firehouse at (717) 657-0768.
OR email: [email protected]
As a live-in you will be given the following:
- Internet access (Wifi)
- TV (Comcast)
- Gaming Consoles
- Full Kitchen and Dining Facilities
- Your own study space
- Desk, Bed, and Drawer
- Access to latest firefighting equipment and technology
- Opportunity to gain the skills of an Engine, Rescue, and Ladder company
- Free gym membership
- Per-call stipend!
- Tuition Reimbursement!
Colleges within a half-hour of Paxtonia:
- Weidner University of Law- 10 mins.
- Harrisburg Area Community College- 11 mins.
- Central Penn College- 15 mins.
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology- 16 mins.
- Penn State Harrisburg- 19 mins.
- ITT Tech- 20 mins.
- Lebanon Valley College- 25 mins.
- Messiah College- 26 mins.
- Elizabethtown College- 29 mins.
- Dickinson College- 30 mins.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or be a high school graduate
- Must maintain certain grade level, (determined by Chief)
- Will be subject to a background check and interview
- Must help with all fund raising events and activities when possible
- Must help maintain the overall condition of the fire station
Live-In Interest Form
- Engineman Joseph Smith - Collegiate
- Truckman Conner Davis - Employed
- Engineman Larry Stepansky - Collegiate
- Engineman Malikie Baser - Collegiate
- Engineman Jesse Skrobak - Collegiate
- Probationary Cody Baker - Employed
- Probationary Jack Remington - Employed